Friday, August 7, 2015

The Finale

The last week of my NFWF internship with USGS was more vegetation survey field work. I stayed in the exciting city of Morgan City and visited six different marsh sites, each containing 10 different vegetation plots. At each plot, the dominate vegetation was identified then five individual plants of the dominate species were measured. After that an average vegetation height and water level was measured. All other species of vegetation located into the plot were recorded and compared to previous years. An estimated percent of each species cover in the plot was recorded. Pore water samples were supposed to be collected but our pore water instrument broke in the field.

I am very grateful to the NFWF team and the USGS team for allowing me this opportunity. I had fun while learning so much about my future professional career. I will miss this internship and somehow  I'll miss the unforgiving marshes and swamps of Louisiana. I included two photos: one of me breaking trail in the rain, and the other the beauty of Louisiana's marshes. Once again thank you to everyone that made this internship possible and very successful.


No comments:

Post a Comment