Thursday, July 9, 2015

USGS Week 4

After a week of field work, this week I returned to the office. I finished weighing the dried above ground vegetation that I have been processing. Soon after I started doing a literature search for CRMS. It was interesting to see a variety of different published papers using data that I am working with, and on top of that I am collecting and processing the CRMS data that future papers may possibly use. Along with doing this I have been setting up data sheets for future field experiments. One of the experiments called RSET involves taking soil cores with freezing nitrogen which I am very interested in.

I made trips to Lafayette this week to process the reference cotton strips taken during decomposition field work. The cotton strips measure tension rates; discussed in the previous post. I had to wash off the dirt from the strips, then hang them to dry. Already dried strips needed to be labeled in 2 centimeter segments and cut. They had a back order on reference cotton strips so this is what I did for the majority of my week. It was not as eventful as last week of course but still a good learning experience. Next week I will be in the field the whole time. Continuing to collect cotton strip for the decomposition field work to be tested for tension after processing. With the first half of this internship going so well I'm only hoping for better for the later half.

No comments:

Post a Comment