Wednesday, July 29, 2015

LDWF Week 5 - ducks and rare moss w/ pics!

During week five I went duck banding at 3 o'clock in the morning, and I drove up to Pineville to look for some kind of rare moss. Have no idea what the name of it is, so don't ask. But back to duck banding... I have never been before, so I was not full sure in what to expect. It was all pretty tedious at first setting up everything...in the dark, but once that cannon goes off, and I get over the fact I'm not dying, everything escalates pretty quickly from there. The guys I'm with sprint out to get baskets and get to wood ducks quickly, while I'm just trudging along behind them wondering what I needed to do. Banding the ducks themselves was pretty cool. I mean it's not everyday you get to hold wild ducks and such. I wish I had got a picture, but I didn't have my phone on me because of the whole jumping into the water thing. Huh...oh well.

Now in Pineville, even though we were outside the whole day, it wasn't so bad since we were in the shady woods all day. It was pretty fun waking around in the swamp and forest, but let me tell you, if there is one thing that ruins anybody's day, it's chiggers. It stunk like a Monday after vacation.
So lesson learned. DONT FORGET TO PUT BUG SPRAY ON!!

and here are some more pretty pics from my day in Pineville

beaver marks

water moccasin  









No comments:

Post a Comment